Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Thing 5 -- Flickr

I hate to keep repeating myself and sounding negative but why Flickr? My daughter advised me not to read all the stuff about it and just jump in and try it. I ended up very frustrated and had to go back to the beginning and read. I still haven't figured out how to make this work for me. I have also confirmed the fact that I am the kind of person who learns best by being in a class or workshop with a live person demonstrating how to use these things. That is how I have always learned what I know about the new technology. I learned to use Google Images (which is now blocked by the school board for inappropriate material) and Good Search Images to find the pictures I want. Then I save them and insert them into Publisher (my program of choice) or Power Point or whatever. These searches seem much more efficient than trying to use Flickr. I have been doing this for years to create posters, flyers, calendars, newsletters, invitations, etc. and I think I have gotten pretty good at it.


I did sign up for a Flickr account but I seem to have lost it or I am unable to access it. I have added a couple of pictures to my favorites so I will see if I can upload them.

Okay, I could not figure out how to upload. So I found this picture on Flickr by doing a search for "Hershey's Kisses" (my favorite candy) Not everything that was found had to do with Hershey's kisses -- shoes, bird on a wire, toilets, etc. I also found some things that are inappropriate for a school setting so I would have to think carefully about using this at school with my students. Once I found this picture, I saved it to "My Pictures" and then inserted it by selecting the picture icon and browsing my pictures. I selected this picture because I love lighthouses and kisses. I think this is kinda cool. I collect lighthouses and I have visited several in Maine, Florida, and other places on the east coast. This is a west coast lighthouse so it is new to me. Oh, the picture is by stormygirl. When I saved the picture, the info was not saved with it which is kind of a pain because I had to go back and find the original picture and write down the name of the photographer. Well, I have to go teach a class in 2 minutes and I have been working on this for about an hour and a half. Time to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment