Sunday, March 15, 2009

Thing 4 -- RSS and Newsreaders

Will someone please tell me if this is going to get fun? I don't know. Maybe I am missing something. I have spent the entire afternoon on this Thing. And here in North Central Florida it is a beautiful Sunday afternoon -- sunny, light breeze, a great day to be outside and I am stuck inside here at the computer. GRRRRRR. My neck and shoulders hurt. The only good thing is that there is a bird feeder just outside the window I am next to and there have been lots of birds around -- cardinals, finches, a blue jay.
Anyway, I read the info on RSS feeds and watched the video. These videos are really helpful. I used Google Reader to set up an account. But then I could not find anything to subscribe to. None of my keywords came up with any sites or blogs that I was interested in. Next I searched through my bookmarks to find RSS feeds on my favorite sites. Of the 45 bookmarks, only one had an RSS icon. And I could not get that one to work! So I went back to the NEFLIN 23 Things blog and used some of the feeds they had identified. I did find a few interesting sites to check out. But it all comes down to time again. When will I have time to sit and read these articles???? I rarely read the newspaper, except on Sunday and not always then. I do listen to the local news on tv in the morning while I am getting dressed and eating breakfast. If I am home at 6 or 6:30, I usually watch the news while I am cooking, eating, or cleaning up dinner. I listen to the radio in the car while I am driving to and from work. I have stacks of magazines at home and at work that I am saving to read sometime but I don't know when. (And my family and my boss really want me to clear this stuff out.) But I don't know when I would ever access this Google Reader to read more stuff. I can't do that at work because I have too much to do. Also, most of my favorite websites have a place for me to enter my email address and they send me new info as it comes out. I get it when I am already checking my email.
So, I don't know how I would use this in either my personal or professional life. I did find one useful item and that was a site or blog on Library Grants. I would use that to apply for grants for the school library.
I really feel like I just don't get it or I am missing something.

No comments:

Post a Comment