Saturday, March 7, 2009

Thing 2-Last comment

I am finally back to 23 Things even though I am still on Thing 2. I have read all the articles and I have a few comments that I want to make and then I will move on. First of all, I really don't like reading the computer screen, so I printed the suggested reading articles, put them in a notebook (Katy thinks this is really silly) and carried them with me to read when I had a chance. I read a couple of them while waiting at the doctor's office. So, here are my reactions.
"Away from the 'Icebergs'" by Rick Anderson
This gentleman is employed at an academic library and I believe that he is out of touch with public schools. Does he assume that everyone has a computer with internet access? I work with students who are developmentally delayed but just a couple of years ago I was working with students from very low income families. These were families who were struggling to stay in a home and even put food on the table. Sometimes the only meals these students got were the meals served at school. They don't have computers, let alone internet access. Mr. Anderson comments that the print library system "worked moderately well for those privileged with access to a good library." People have to be privileged to be able to have a computer and internet access. Any public library is more accessible to low income families struggling to avoid homelessness than a computer and internet access.
"Into a New World of Librarianship" by Michael Stephens
Does Librarian 2.0 have any kind of personal life outside the library????
"To a Temporary Place in Time" by Dr. Wendy Schultz
She is right "Digital natives take 2.0 for granted". My children do not know of life without computers, internet access, cell phones, facebook, my space, instant messaging, etc. They expect that it will all be there for them to use any time of the day or night and it is. Being a digital immigrant and having experienced life without all of this, I sometimes question the need for all this access. I grew up, received an excellent education, work in a professional career of my choice and got along fine without all these "things". Okay, I admit this computer is much easier to type on and edit than the old manual typewriter that I used 27 years ago as I worked my way through graduate school!
"To More Powerful Ways to Cooperate" by Chip Nilges
Sorry, I don't even understand what he is writing about. I would have to do a lot more research and reading to grasp these concepts.
"Library 2.0" from Wikipedia
I really do like this definition of Library 2.0. It is one I can understand. But haven't libraries in any form always attempted "to harness the library user in the design and implementation of library services by encouraging feedback and participation." Isn't this what surveys, suggestion boxes, circulation reports, stats about number of patrons at certain times and days, boards, Friends of the Library are all about? We have always asked for input and feedback from our patrons. Michael Casey is quoted as describing the "need for libraries to adopt a strategy for constant change". School libraries (where I work) have always done this with collection development plans, equipment plans, policies for accepting donations and for censorship. As technology has progressed so have school libraries and haven't all libraries? I have replaced reel-to-reel tape recorders and record players with cassette players that have been replaced with CD players. I have replaced filmstrip projectors and 16mm movie projectors with video tape players that have been replaced with DVD players. I have just replaced the TV in the library with a SMART Board that shows DVDs through the computer. It should be noted that the one thing that does prevent the library from moving forward is budget constraints. I would love to add a document camera, a digital camera, a flip video to the library. Really, I would like to add a digital camera, a flip video, and a SMART Board for every teacher in my school. There is no money to purchase these items or provide the teachers with the training needed to properly use these items to the fullest extent. I'm not sure I'm even going to have money to buy this year's award winning books. And the next few years don't look much more promising with regards to budget. As a matter of fact, I will be happy just to keep my full-time job!!

No comments:

Post a Comment